January 7, 2010

Île de Ré, France

View from the lighthouse to the sea.


It was late October and we were driving through the Lot Valley in southwestern France. It was beautiful, of course. Lush and fragrant with fall. We had no particular plans, other than to end up in Cognac to visit a barrel making acquaintance. I studied the map (ok ~ the GPS on my phone) to see what lay ahead in that general direction. But something tickled at the back of my mind, percolating until it finally bubbled up to the top and I remembered ~ Île de Ré!! Just off the coast of Bordeaux, a tiny island of oyster farms, vineyards, a lovely harbor and this twinkling lighthouse. We spent the day there and now I dream of going back to stay for several soothing days of bike-riding and beach-walking. And ~ see above ~ café afternoons.

No comments: